Saturday, June 16, 2018

Two Days in One

Our last day on the trip home was a 14 or 15 hour marathon.

We planned our trip home the second week in Grande Prairie. This time Rick chose the route and told me where we would be stopping each night. It was my job to find a place to stay each night. When he said we would be stopping at Syracuse on the final night I found us a park for the night but I knew if we got that close to home we would make a final push rather than stopping. I was not wrong, even though we fell a 100 miles short of our goal the day before.

We got an early start, leaving Defiance Ohio between 7:00 and 7:30 am. We had 2 major cities to get through - Cleveland Ohio and Buffalo NY and we had no idea what that would do to our travel times. we decided to take the toll roads around each of them and it definitely helped.





We started to see advertisements for vineyards and wineries in eastern Ohio and throughout Pennsylvania. At first I thought it strange as I had never heard of these areas being referred to as wine regions. Then I realized how close we were to the Niagara wine region on the Canadian side of the border and it suddenly made sense.





We also watched a large helicopter transporting parts of power lines and lowering them into place, Mother Nature was once again dressed in her fall splendor which made for a scenic afternoon.







New York State showing her fall colors. These pictures do not do it justice..

We stopped at a service center just outside of Syracuse at around 4:30 and plugged in an address in Ogdensburg to judge how far from home we were. It showed we were 250 kms away. So I made dinner and Rick had a rest and off we went. We arrived home just after 9:30 at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment