Saturday, June 16, 2018

A Very Bad day

As Rick stated in his post on Facebook - on a f*cked up scale of 1-10 this day was a 13.  The morning started out fine. Rick went and picked up Dan and Connor so they could spend the day with us out at the trailer park. We had planned on a glamorous lunch of hamburgers and hotdogs. Nothing was too good for our boys!!  We picked up everything the day before except buns. So shortly after they arrived I left to get the buns. 

I should explain a little about where our trailer park was located. Grand Prairie is in the process of building a bi-pass around the town. Most large cities have them - a way to avoid going through the town when you are just passing through and thus avoiding all of the traffic. The -pass is called Highway 43X and is still being built. Our park was at the end of highway 43x, down township road 722. The bi-pass ends at 116th (Also known as Range road 63) and the 4 lane road changes to a two lane paved road and then a dirt road. We noticed early on that people have a tendency to not stop at the stop sign where 116th street meets 43X. On the map below the star represents the trailer park and the red circle is the intersection. 




So I leave to get the buns and, just before the intersection of 43X and 116th St. my speed limit changes to 110 km/h. However, knowing what that intersection is like, I did not increase my speed to the speed limit, but took my foot off the gas, reducing my speed from the 80 km/hr I was travelling. Sure enough, I see a white truck dash across the intersection, but h cleared it just before I entered. Then, suddenly, a big navy blue pick up was directly in front of me. probably less than 10 feet away. I knew I was going to hit it as there was no where for me to maneuver around. Things pretty much went in slow motion until I hit the truck. I did try to break by way to little to late to avoid a collision. 



Because it was a busy intersection there were people there right away. A gentleman came to my car right away and asked me if if was ok and then asked if I needed to call someone. He searched my purse which was on the floor of the passenger side to find my phone but I remembered I had left it on the charger back at the trailer, so he took out his phone and dialed my husband's number and then handed me the phone. When Rick answered he didn't recognize the number the call was coming from and told me I had the wrong number!! I yelled at him and he finally realized who was on the other end of the phone. He went to the trailer park office and some one brought him to the accident scene, talking to me the whole time. I still had the gentleman's phone long after Rick arrived and the fire department started to work on me. I think I finally gave it to one of the firemen when the EMS arrived but I am not sure. I really wish I could have thanked him. 

After being transported to the hospital, it was determined that I had a fractured right ankle (I should not have hit the brakes when I knew i could not stop) and the seat belt had damaged my chest muscles. I had burns on my neck from the air bag and my neck was cut where my seat belt was sitting over my necklace. 

Our last week was not going to be what we had planned. 




No comments:

Post a Comment