Saturday, May 26, 2018

Day 2 - The Adventure Continues

Our second day was bright and sunny. We were up early, had breakfast, cleaned up and were
on the road by 8:00 am. Our plan was to go from Parry Sound to Sault Sainte Marie Michigan.
Originally we had planned on staying in Ontario and then making the crossing in the morning,
but we decided that morning to clear US Customs and get our supplies that night. We fully
expected to be pulled in by Customs and be searched but that did not happen. The very nice
officer did take my only tomato though. It was the only thing perishable left in my fridge at home
so I grabbed it at the last minute, thinking I would save it from a slow death in out unattended
fridge, It looked like a lovely tomato. I hope someone ate it.

Another very big reason we decided to go across the northern states was the gas prices. Just
a week before Hurricane Harvey came ashore, flooding Houston and shutting down a large
oil refinery. Although Canada does not get or use gas from this refinery the oil companies
jacked up the prices at the pumps an average of $0.20/liter. We filled up outside Parry Sound
that morning for $1.29/liter. All of the other gas stations we passed were at $1.39/liter. We
paid US$2.70/Gallon (CAD$0.90/liter) in Sault Sainte Marie Michigan - for a savings of $35
for the fill up. That was the highest prices we saw in the states. The lowest we saw was
$2.41/Gallon (CAD $0.81). On average we paid $2.49/Gallon or CAD $0.83/Gallon.

On this second day of our journey we were much more relaxed about towing the car and so I kept my camera on my lap the entire day to try to capture some of the interesting things I saw. We were able to enjoy the ride and take in the spectacular scenery. The part of northern Ontario  were crossing had some of the most rugged landscape you will ever see.



One of the things I noticed before we got to Parry Sound the night before was every rock
cut - and there were lots - had at least one Inuksuk (Native for "I was here"). This continued
the next day and I was determined to capture one with my camera. That is a unique challenge
when you are travelling at 90 km/h and at the end of the day I had a lot of pictures of rock cuts
and brush and just one picture of the elusive Inuksuk.



After crossing the border we easily found the local Walmart, got our supplies, had dinner and
settled in for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment